DEBATE me will you fuxor?

Loki
Newby Cowboy

DEBATE me will you fuxor?

Post by Loki »

Ok hrm,,,,,a new unused forum yay!
Ok...Lets debate about computer hardware. Everyone seems to think they HAVE to have a 1 gig or better CPU and shitloads of ram these days.
I happen to use a 470+ AMD processor and 160mb of ram. My computer is a old piece of s<b>***</b>, yet with a linux install, a GUI better than that of windows, and software geared for a 386 platform I have no performance problems. I contend you DO NOT need to spend endless amounts of cash on upgrades unless you are using a windows or Mac OS and are victim to the growing evils of closed source software that intentionally use more and more processing power and resident memory. Go ahead I dare you to argue with me. I'm bored anyway! shithounds.
When I grow up I want to DIE so I can be reincarneted as a child. They have all the fun.

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

I have a PII 400 Windows machine and it runs fine.

I suppose the only reason to bump up CPU and RAM on a machine is if you're using it for something like gaming or something similar. Otherwise, this machine runs quite nice.

Loki
Newby Cowboy

Post by Loki »

bastard you're supposed to debate me hahah...but yeah, very true. That or rendering 3d, making graffics, or using complex sound composition/multitrack& synth software.
When I grow up I want to DIE so I can be reincarneted as a child. They have all the fun.

stealth
Junior Cowboy

Post by stealth »

Why would you need to upgrade with Mac OS?
^c exit

Loki
Newby Cowboy

Post by Loki »

Stealth.... Good Q....I guess if you don't have osX yet then it may be worth that.....but yeah hardware, I dunno. never had a mac. =P

stealth
Junior Cowboy

Post by stealth »

err i dont think a Mac would be very easy to upgrade hardware on. you cant buy Mac mobo's too easily :)
^c exit

Loki
Newby Cowboy

Post by Loki »

Yeah I know....they're built to last and NOT be upgraded. it's kind of stupid, but they are good machines.

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

I've purchased an iMAC motherboard over eBay once. It worked out pretty well. I also got a lot of help with installation from the guy I bought it from.

As far as iMAC's go, they're not likely to be upgraded easily. But, standard i386 arcitecture machines are easily manipulated.

To each their own I suppose...

Janky Jay III

stealth
Junior Cowboy

Post by stealth »

what os u running on it?
^c exit

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

It was OS 9 at the time. This was probably about 2.5 years ago or so. I was just doing it for a friend who managed to fry his power supply (Which is redundantly attached to the base motherboard... DUH!). It all turned out alright overall though.