*nix flavor of choice for a n00b

Loki
Newby Cowboy

*nix flavor of choice for a n00b

Post by Loki »

Ok, I've used several distros of linux and had seemingly unresolvable issues with each of them. My OS use experience is simple. I am NOT a programmer, I am not a super genius. When I ran w95 for 4+ years I learned enough VB to reverse engineer bits and pieces of the OS without majorly fucking it up and in the process making it a TAD better in my opinion....I hated the closed source and the restrictions. I have craved something as usable as windows, but more stable. I do not like KDE very much, I do like gnome, and Think windowmaker is so simple..but has good potential. I have used SuSe, Fedora....etc. I have had problems installing numerous other *nix o.s.' including FreeBSD, and was just plain too lazy to install Gentoo...which I may try again....</drunk ramble>

OK...So what *nix do you use, and WHY....please no elitist responces...detailed reasons...."It's the best" is for dumbfucks who don't know why they like it. :P
When I grow up I want to DIE so I can be reincarneted as a child. They have all the fun.

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

Hrmm.. Not many Linux users visiting the Forum these days, huh?

Loki
Newby Cowboy

Post by Loki »

Apparently there isn't a ton of ppl visiting at all really. but thats ok I'm just posting s<b>***</b> to try to liven it up a bit. Perhaps I'll drag a few new users in and make them fill up the rants w/ amusing bullshit.
When I grow up I want to DIE so I can be reincarneted as a child. They have all the fun.

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

Haha. Fair enough.

I'll respond to your question while I'm here though. \o/

Although, I don't use Linux... The best distrobution I'd ever used was Slackware. Of course, that was LONG before Gentoo and a few other supposedly superior distrobutions came out.

I use FreeBSD (As you know) and I love every minute of it. I mostly stick to 4.X at the moment due to 5.X not being what I "must have" yet. But, I've heard a few somewhat goofed things about 5.X that I don't particularly agree with. And, apparently there are a lot of others who don't agree as well. There is a FBSD-4.X-based OS that's being released as of late called "DragonFly" which is being developed my a man whom contributed to the FBSD project. If you'd like to read more, visit [url=http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/]http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/[/url] and check it out.

I would say just play around and learn what you like and what you're looking for (Which is sounds like you're doing). You're on the right track! It just gets a little more frustrating as you get older and don't have all the time in the world to pick at a system anymore. :)

Good luck to ya',
Janky Jay III

I would say, go ahead and play with what you want to. You should be capable