compiling programs

nethic
Newby Cowboy

compiling programs

Post by nethic »

using ETHEREAL . what Exactly is it for i have it included in my d1stro of knoppix also i have Ettercap wich i know how to use but Ethereal i don't nore do i even know wat it is used for , also , nmap under linux , i have got nmap and i have opended and saved it to my tmp files now i want ot run it but i do not know which file to choose , also do i have to compile it ? and if i do will i use gcc ? alos my questions are spent for now but i will have more soon :) ciao

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

Ethereal is a protocol analyzer. Somewhat similar to Ettercap but much better in my opinion. If you want to check out it, go here:
[url=http://www.ethereal.com/]Ethereal.com[/url]

About NMap. If you've downloaded the source for it, then yes, you'll have to build and install it. I'm pretty sure but not 100% (because Linux sometimes installs files askew) that it should install into /usr/local/bin once it's finished.
So, you would only have to execute "nmap" from anywhere being as that directory is in your standard path. (Ie: echo $PATH). You will probably use GCC to build it. I don't see why not. Just browse to the directory you downloaded nmap to and uncompress it if necessary. You'll most likely have a "configure" file which you will run to start the install. Run "./configure --help" to view install options. Afterwards, it will be a simple "make" and "make install". Note that "make install" needs to be run as root in order to install into a directory your standard user doesn't own.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Janky Jay III