NetBSD & Mac OS X

stealth
Junior Cowboy

NetBSD & Mac OS X

Post by stealth »

Just wondering if anyone who browses these forums has ever tried installing NetBSD along side Mac OS X without having to bomb your Mac partition first.

I have been reading through the installation notes and it doesn't seem like there is any other way because it mentions nothing about being able to resize your Mac partition so you have some free space to create a NetBSD partition.

I know Mac OS X is FreeBSD 5 based and so some might say why bother with another BSD when you already got one. But meh....

So anyone done it?
^c exit

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

Hi, stealth.

I haven't made an attempt at that whatsoever. But, I would think there would be some sort of option as to how much space you intend to use in the NetBSD partition. The typical NetBSD install should have an option much similar to FreeBSD's when it comes to partitioning the HDD.

Does it prompt you at all for how much space you have on the HDD or if you want to erase the current partition/install? Maybe a screenshot of the partition area of the install could help if you can manage to nab one. Otherwise, I'll bet there are answers on google.com/bsd or similar.

Let me know how it turns out. I'm interested.

Regards,
Janky Jay III

stealth
Junior Cowboy

Post by stealth »

I haven't really looked into it any further since I last posted. Partitioning isn't the problem itself. It's being able to create free space to create a NetBSD partition without deleting the Mac partition. i.e. Resizing the Mac Partition. Doesn't seem like the disk utility allows you to resize. Kinda sucks.
^c exit

eekay
Administrator

Post by eekay »

Hrmm.. Sounds odd. I don't think I've tried doing dual boot/installs using NetBSD before. But, last I used NetBSD I remembered the installer being much similar to FreeBSD's. And FreeBSD's installer seems to work fine. Check it out one more time and see if you can figure it out. Otherwise, I'll see if I can find out a way for a dual boot/install for NetBSD. We'll see what's up.

Regards