networking

nethic
Newby Cowboy

networking

Post by nethic »

ok i have two comp's one with out a monitor and i am goin to run it as a dedicated server . now i have a cable connection is it possible to run my mandrake box threw this server i am goin to setup without a router and a hub , like i mean go directly threw ethernet cards as in the rj45 cables only connecting to the server but the serveris the one connected to the net from the modem , or will therer be a conflict between adaptors as cause thereis onboard ethernet cards on both but i have pci cards for them to is there a way i can set this up to work ?
i' am doin this so i can run a dedicated multi purpose server
and so i have more protection threw it then i normaly would ,basicaLy route to the internet threw the server while not actualy touching it with my other box ? k let em know if this is possible or not thanx guys :)

stealth
Junior Cowboy

Post by stealth »

short answer yes. you can setup one box which connects to the internet and share the connection. all you'd need is a crossover cable between your 2 pcs. if you wanted to share the connection between more than 2 pcs you'd obviously need a hub or switch. what OS are you going to run on the 'dedicated server'?
^c exit

nethic
Newby Cowboy

Post by nethic »

most likely linux .but i am considering tryin to get fbsd to try it out and see how that is but ya most likly linux don't know what distro thow i'll find out on tuesday;):cool: